Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

We have a small heard (100) of sheep. Some of them are limping.

Customer Question

We have a small heard (100) of sheep. Some of them are limping. We have had a lot of rain in Texas and we are on low lying property. We have had them for a year and this is the first problem we've had with their (about 5) feet. Front and hind limbs are affected. Our worst one has severe swelling just above the ankle all the way down to her hoof. The area is discolored and charcoal color. What could this be and how should I treat it? The worst one has labored breathing so I'm thinking antibiotics???
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front and hind limbs (on different animals). Only one leg per animal has been affected. Location on legs is indiscriminate of front/hind legs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture attached is one of our males. He isn't the worst of them but I didn't have a picture saved of our worst female. Please note location and discoloration. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I still need information on the issue. I'm hoping to have it by Sunday morning, July 19, 2015. We are worming the heard then and that would be the easiest time to medicate and aid the problem lambs, but I need to know what to medicate them with. I read that I would have an answer within 24 hours and that has already passed. Every time I check the time to answer button it says 8 minutes (since I posted the question). I'm not sure that's too accurate.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a picture of the lamb with the worst wound. How should I treat this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is another view of the lamb with the worst wound. Is this black leg? I thought black leg affected the hind quarters. Please help! We want to help her heal!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pictures look dark or black, but she actually has raw pink/red tissue showing. We didn't see any maggots or flies and she is still able to walk (and run) on her other three legs to graze with the heard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moderator, it's been 48 hours since I asked my question. Has there been any luck locating someone that might be able to assist me? My free trial is only for another few days and I'd like to receive an answer before committing to a membership.
Thank you,
I am so sorry for the long wait, it's difficult to predict when an Expert with the expertise needed for your question might be logging on. We will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and thanks for the question.
Greetings, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the long delay, I just logged on and saw our question. Thanks for sending the photos as well, very helpful.Based on what you have described, it seems evident that your sheep are suffering from footrot. This is caused by certain bacteria in the soil, and is even more prominent when the area is wet. Your wondering about the use of antibiotics is a good choice, and normally the antibiotic used is LA 200 (oxytetracycline) which is available over the counter. With the associated swelling noted in your photos however, it's most likely that the feet will need to be individually addressed, meaning cleaned, trimmed and treated with a solution called copper sulfate, again, available over the counter sometimes known as "Koppertox".As this problem is affecting more than one animal, it's obvious that the organism responsible is prevalent in your soil. If possible, it would be best to remove the sheep from this area on to dry land. If you're not comfortable with treating the feet, I'd strongly recommend that you consider having your Vet out to take a look and do the appropriate treatments.Footrot can be an extremely frustrating condition to get rid of, as the bacteria live for long periods of time in the soil, and isn't something that will disappear overnight. It takes a lot of work and determination to get it under control. IF you are at all hesitant about treating, I'd turn the problem over to your Vet. I do hope that I've been of some help, and please let me know if you have any further questions. Again, my apologies for the delay, and I wish you the best of luck with your herd. -Dan C.