CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

My 120 lb spayed potbelly pig is breathing hard and labored and has te

Customer Question

My 120 lb spayed potbelly pig is breathing hard and labored and has temp so i got some procaine penicillin and need to know dosage to give her and how often. Its pen aqueous penicillin g procaine 100 ml injectible. I also gotampicillin 250 mg tablets.
Additionally, i need vitamin k but dont know where to get that as she may have gotten into roundup but unsure and shes eating now . Would like it onhand anyways. Can u help?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today. I am so sorry that Daisy is not feeling well. The average temperature for the resting pot bellied pig ranges from a low of 95.2 f to 103.3 f, so if Daisy is experiencing an elevated temperature, it would be above 103.3 f. If she does have an elevated temperature, penicillin can be administered at a dose of 7 ccs in the muscle once every 24 hours for 3 days. If there is no response to this treatment, you must contact your veterinarian for a through evaluation of Daisy's illness. The dose of ampicillin is 327 mg - 436 mg every 8 hours.I hope this is the information you were looking for. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thank you. Roundup is a plant herbicide that does not disrupt the ability of blood to clot. This is a problem with some of the rodenticides that are still on the market, & Vit k is used to treat these exposures. Vit. K will not help in this instance of exposure to Roundup. You can purchase Vit K in the vitamin section of any pharmacy, & although it is not the same as the Vit. K we use, you might keep it on hand if you get into a pinch. But it is not the thing to use if you truly suspect a pet has gotten into a rodenticide. That particular Vit. K is only available through your veterinarian. In addition, some rodenticides are actually much more dangerous & do not respond to Vit. K therapy at all.