Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

We have an angus steer 12months with a broken front left ankle

Customer Question

We have an angus steer 12months with a broken front left ankle approx 350 kg can it be repaired. Chris
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Chris. I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.
In regards ***** ***** question, this completely depends on the fracture type he has sustained (just as it would for us). Generally speaking, if we have a simple fracture, these can be repaired surgically and sometimes even with casting. If the break is more severe (ie open through the skin, mis-aligned, or if the bone has just been obliterated), then surgery can still repair many of these but it can be more intensive (potentially requiring a specialist). Therefore, if he is valuable, then it'd be worth having your vet out at this stage to palpate and xray this leg. Because once we know what damage has been specifically done to the bone, we can appreciate if this is a leg we can repair and what type of repair we need to do.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )