Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 2 year old doe down with Listeria and she is constipated.

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old doe down with Listeria and she is constipated. A breeder told me I could give her milk of magnesia is that safe?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I do just want to note that if your lass was diagnosed with Listeria, we'd need to be treating her with antibiotics (Penicillin from your local vet or farm supply would be helpful against this bacteria if she isn't already on treatment).
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question about constipation, Milk of Magnesia is safe to use in goats and in high doses can act as a laxative. So, this is fine to use and you can give it via oral drench at a dose of 1 ml per 4 lbs of her weight every 6 hours until you see feces. Of course, if she is very constipated, then we may need to switch to carefully drenching mineral or vegetable oil ( at a dose of 1 ounce per 10 pounds every 4 hrs). And of course, when using any laxative or treated any constipation, remember that we need to keep them well hydrated. So, she needs to be encouraged to drink or we also will want to drench her with an electrolyte solution like Resorb.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )