Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I have a Boer nanny who is losing weight yet still has an appeitite

Customer Question

I have a Boer nanny who is losing weight yet still has an appeitite but she is not herself. I wormed her about three weeks ago. She isn't herself.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked her temp and she was at 105. I gave her a shot of penicillin and some probiotics. That was yesterday. Today I gave her a vit b shot.
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for the question.
Just want you to know that I'll be signing off for the night. I'll be checking for your response in the morning.
Thanks!
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 2 yrs old.
Last worming was 30 days prior.
I currently use ivomec for worming.
She was not I'll before worming.
Never was diagnosed with worms.
She is in a pasture with 30 other goats with a barn to go in for shelter which is kept cleaned.
Normal diet is hay, fresh pasture, and grain which I'd corn oats and boss. There is also salt and free loose minerals.
Thanks for getting back to me. It sounds as if you take excellent care of your goats. Good for you!
And thanks for the helpful information.
At 2 years of age, it's unlikely that she is experiencing any major metabolic problems, however the fever certainly indicates either infection and/or inflammation. Along with the weight loss, and even with your good care, I still can't rule out a parasite problem. We are seeing a lot of resistance to all of the dewormers these days, plus there are other types of internal parasites that Ivermectin won't cover, such as coccidia.
Firstly I'd recommend continuing on with the Penicillin, and Procaine Penicillin G is the best choice for goats. It should be given twice daily at a dosage of 3cc per 100 pounds in the muscle for at least 5 days. Secondly, I would recommend that you consider taking a fresh fecal sample to your Vet's office for analysis. If you don't have a large animal Vet, a small animal clinic should be able to run a test for you. Coccidia does affect younger goats, and as I mentioned previously, there may be some resistance occurring. That's one of the best starting points right now, unless you want to have her sen. But you may end up being surprised at the fecal results, and go from there per your Vet's directions. If resistance is an issue and there are no notable Coccidia, Valbazen dewormer has been working well against most species at this point.
Again, try to get a fecal test run, and go from there. If all turns out to be negative for parasites, I'm happy to help you further.
I trust I've ben of some help, and please let me knwo if you have further questions.
Thanks again, and best of luck with your Doe.
-Dan C.
I'm off for the morning, but will check for any response when I return this afternoon.
Good Morning!
Just checking to see if you have any further questions.
Thanks again,
-Dan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it hurt to worm her again with valbazen being I just wormed her with ivomec.
Thanks for the reply.
No, it wouldn't hurt her to deworm with the Valbazen. The dosage I normally recommend is 1cc per 20 pounds, given orally. It's best to then repeat the treatment in 10 days.
Thanks again,
-Dan C.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
Dan C., DVM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going well. She is doing so much better back eating and back to her usual self. Thank you for the help
Thanks so much for getting back to me and letting me in on the good news about Penny. Greatly appreciated. Makes my evening!
All the best to you,
-Dan C.