Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I had a perfectly healthy calf one night and by morning she

Customer Question

I had a perfectly healthy calf one night and by morning she was down and by late afternoon it was dead. heavy labored breathing foam at the mouth. aged 8 weeks. got any ideas what that could be?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your little girl...
The most common cause for this is an Acute Pneumonia infection.This comes on so fast and at this age, their immune system cannot control the infection. Since the symptoms came on so fast, there was no evidence of an upper respiratory issue so treatment is just too late.
This LINK may explain in more detail:
http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/176/calf-pneumonia/
There was nothing that you or your vet could have done to prevent this since treatment is too late due to the acute nature of this disease.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gert Angus X. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta