Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

How do i know pif my cow is in calf?? Supposed in june / july.

Customer Question

How do i know pif my cow is in calf?? Supposed in june / july. first calf.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
The most straightforward way to determine if a cow is in calf is by having your vet rectally palpate or ultrasound your lass. If she is due this soon, then should be able to diagnose this quite easily. Alternatively, there are hormonal blood tests that can also be used to diagnose pregnancy.
Otherwise I would note that you can look for general hints of pregnancy with her. Appetite and general girth can be deceiving, so, the biggest clue is that she should be developing a good udder size at this stage. Generally speaking, we see it enlarge at 5-6 months into the pregnancy. So, if she has little in the way of development when due in the next 0.5-1 month, we'd need to be wary of her actually being in calf. And if there was doubt rectal palpation could be useful here to confirm her pregnancy status.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )