Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

We have a 4 month old male pygmy goat that has blood in his

Customer Question

We have a 4 month old male pygmy goat that has blood in his urine and appears bloated. He is eating hay and drinking water
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Blood in the urine usually indicates a bladder infection and this can be serious for Ned if not treated because they can form stones and crystals that could block his urethra. I am not sure if this is causing this bloat but since Ned is still eating hay, this is a good sign. The best thing to do for now is to give Ned Pencillin G available at the farm supply, 1 injection every 12 hrs for 5-7 days. Watch this bloated appearance since , if his urethra does block, this will cause the bladder to swell and possibly burst if left untreated.
If the bloated appearance gets worse and Ned becomes lethargic, give Ned a Gas X every 8 hrs available at the pharmacy over the counter to help decrease the gas production.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Rachael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ned. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta