Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Front leg joints buckle when walking or playing. will vit

Customer Question

front leg joints buckle when walking or playing. will vit B help with mucles
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did he get colostrum from mum?

Has he struggled since birth?

Does he have any stiffness or swelling in his joints compared to her?

Does he have any fever?

Does she show weakness in his back legs as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jack does not show any weakness in his hind leg
s. It is his right front joint that keep folding back. he is happy go lucky. We do not have any vets in area that goat people they are dogs/cat

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Penny,

Now when we see lameness of this nature, we do have a few concerns. If his signs are predominately related to one foreleg, then we'd be most concerned that this is related to trauma during the birth or since, joint based infection, or damage/weakness of the nerves or tendons in this leg. To a lesser extent (since often more then one limb would be affected), we would then also have to consider vitamin/mineral deficiency or systemic infection.

In regards ***** ***** here, there is some supportive care we can consider to cover our bases. To start, it would be reasonable to treat with Vitamin B at this stage. While doing so, also consider supplementing him with Vitamin E/Selenium (ie BOSE, which you can get at your local farm supply shop) to rule out any risks of white muscle disease causing his signs.

As well, since joint ill would be high on our list of concerns here, I’d also suggest treating with Penicillin G to rule out a bacterial infection. This again can be purchased from your local farm supply (or ordered online) and can be given daily for 5-7 days. Finally, if you think he is sore with this and to rule out nerve inflammation, you can also treat him with Aspirin (at a dose of 5mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) with or after food.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for his signs, but if it is focused on one leg then we do have other concerns before deficiency. Therefore, I would advise taking the above steps to address as many of our concerns as possible. As well, if you are seeing joint swelling, you can also warm compress this knee while treating to help give him the best chance of recovering from this lameness.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )