Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Will yeast bread bloat a young calf. what can't they eat that

Customer Question

will yeast bread bloat a young calf. what can't they eat that will cause bloating.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
While bread dough would be particularly dangerous, there are reports of dry bread of any type inducing bloat in cattle. Therefore, this needs to be avoided. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, other bloat risk foods/pasture plants that need to be monitored and not fed in excess are legumes, grain (where bloat is secondary to acidosis), alfalfa, forage rape, wheat, and clovers (including white, ladino, sweet, and red). All in excess can trigger bloating in ruminants.
Finally, in regards ***** ***** bloat risk for a prone cow/calf, you will want to try increasing his fibre intake For example, feeding grass hay daily can help to reduce this for prone animals. As well, you can try coarsely chopping your hay and mixing it with any grain that you are feeding. Or just plan to up his hay 15% to again increase fiber or offer more rolled corn, whole corn, or rolled grain sorghum as opposed to grain. And if he is overindulging on a lush pasture with any of the above, then you may need limit his access or time on that pasture.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )