Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I have a 4 month old lamb with stomach worms. What can I d

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old lamb with stomach worms. What can I do
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now parasites of the stomach are very common in our sheep and lambs. Therefore, if you are seeing a problem with stomach worms, you may need to consider initiating a worming regimen with your flock or at least try to regulate your grazing to minimize their access to fecal contaminated fields (since they get themselves into a vicious cycle of passing eggs, eating them while grazing, and thus re-infecting themselves with multiple generations of worms).
In regards ***** ***** this little one, the best approach here is to worm it now. In regards ***** ***** we do have quite a few to choose from. This includes broad spectrum wormers like Ivomec (drench or injection) Dectomax, or Safeguard. As well, if you are concerned about liver flukes as well, you can choose to use a wormer like Cydectin (drench or pour-on), Valbazen, or Closamectin which will tackle the stomach/GI worms as well as fluke. And I would note that most of these are available at your local feed or farm supply store or even online.
Finally, I would note that if you have had an ongoing problem, then it is worthwhile to have routine fecals checked throughout the year. This allows you to appreciate if your stock has any parasites and ensures you don't see any drug resistance (or can change drugs if you did).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )