Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

Have a holstein about 7 weeks old that i have been bottle feeding

Customer Question

have a holstein about 7 weeks old that i have been bottle feeding for six weeks started acting like it wanted the bottle but keep spiting out the nipple and wouldnt keep the nipple in his mouth let him out in the pasture this morning with other calves and he ate grass and sweet feed but when i put him in the pen this evening he ran into the fence twice and till wouldnt eat the bottle and was covered in sweat could it be rabbies or is it someting else ...thanks mark
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Mark and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get to your question, Mark.
Often, the holstein calves do not get sufficient Colostrum from their mothers and this sets them up for infections due to an immature immuen system. I fear that your little guy may have caught a bacteria r virus that is affecting the neurologic system. This can be an encephalitis and your vet will eant to treat aggressively with antibiotics as well as anti inflammatory medications If he has gotten worse over this period of time, it may be too late for this treatment.
Consult your local vet for guidance and an exam.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****