DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  Tracked mixed animal medicine in vet school; have been working as an equine vet since graduation
24095035

I have a 1 yr old female goat who got her left hind leg

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1 yr old female goat who got her left hind leg tangled in twine. I found her lying down and the twine was very tightly wrapped just above her 'knee?' crook? It was clammy to the touch until i got it untangled and I didnt feel a break but am worried about lack of circulation and subsequent damage. Leg is swollen and hot, and today [day 3] there seems to be some ozzing from just above her hoof. She is eating and I have used betadine liquid on the leg She is eating and walking but limping. She can move the leg but prefers not to. Swelling has gone down somewhat but, now I am worried about this bleeding/oozing from top of foot.
Not sure what to do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry about your goats injury. It could be that the hoof is dying from having circulation cut off. If she is not on it, you may want to start injectable penicillin and wrap the whole foot in a betadine soaked gauze and dry wrap. Try to keep the hoof in place as long as possible and hopefully it will give time for new keratinizied foot/hoof to grow. If the whole thing sloughs off, have her seen by a vet. She may still be able to make it but it will be a long treatment process. Keep up the good work. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ