Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

This morning my dog got one of our goats she is 1 year old

Customer Question

this morning my dog got one of our goats she is 1 year old boer/alpine goat. she has skin missing from her from her face right by her mouth, on her cheek. she also has to puncture wounds on her neck. none of the wounds are bleeding hardly at all. I put vetericyn wound and infection treatment on all wounds. she seems dazed. her breathing sounds fine just breathing a little harder then normal
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Are Lena's gums pink or pale/white?
How big is the wound on her cheek?
She sounds to be a bit shocky, can you take a breathing rate (could her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Did they hurt her anywhere else?
Can you take a photo of her wounds for me? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are a pale pink. Little cut above eye on ear and by mouth
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Do you think they are paler then usual or compared to the other goats (just as this helps us to ascertain the severity of blood loss or risk of internal bleeding)?
Is there a flap of skin hanging from this cheek wound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the skin is still there. Does 60 breathes per min sound right I don't know if I did it right I'm only 16. I need to go look at other goats quick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
That is quite high (normal is 15-30 breaths per minute). Still, under the circumstances, it is understandable that it is this high but we'd want to monitor that for her. Now while you are comparing gum color, I will start typing my thoughts for our approach here.
Speak to you again shortly,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums look the same as two other goats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's following other goats arond the pasture just keeping her distance though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am glad to see her gum color matches her friends. That just lets you and I breathe a wee sigh of relief that we don't have any serious internal bleeds that she hasn't told us about.
Now I am not too worried about the puncture (despite being quite deep) just now. The reason is because if we can prevent infection from taking root there, it is small enough that her body can close and heal this. Otherwise, where my concerns do lie is that cheek wound. It is not as severe as some attacks I have treated in the past but hanging flap of skin complicates the situation. The reason is because with it still so well attached. With it being so, it would really be ideal to have her vet out because this could be stitched back into contact with the main part of the body. And that would facilitate healing, reduce scarring and be the best option for her. Otherwise, if we didn’t do that, this flap could be a complicating factor in this healing (as it can slow healing on its attachment side, act as a focus of infection, and potentially shrivel and die away). And as I am sure you can appreciate, the longer the wound is open to the world, the more likely it will become infected (which its already a “dirty wound” due dog mouths being full of bacteria).
In any case, in regards ***** ***** care, your topical treatment was a good start. Otherwise, we want to make sure she is in a secure clean hospitalization pen with food/water in easy reach. Since she has sustain injury to her face, you will want to keep an eye that she can eat and drink without issue (since otherwise you would need to supplement her with drenching fluids and handfeeding).
In regards ***** ***** wound, we want to make sure that we thoroughly flush them all with a mild antiseptic. You can use dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This should be repeated 2-3 times daily and pat dry afterwards. If she will allow, you want to use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush deep into the punctures as well to flush out as much bacteria as possible. Afterwards, you can apply your spray as you have.
Further to this, we need to consider starting her on antibiotics for these infected wounds. You can consider using Procaine Penicillin G from your local feed store. This can be given to goats at a dose of 1 milliliter per 20 pounds of their weight subcutaneously once daily for 5-7 days. And this will help address the bacteria already in the wound to prevent an abscess developing from the puncture or infection negatively impacting all her wounds' healing.
Finally, since this is going to be painful, I do want to note that pain relief would be ideal for her. Now in this case, you will need to get her vet to dispense this. Ideally, we would want a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory product (ie Metacam, Ketoprofen,Carprofen, Flunixin, etc) from her vet. These would reduce swelling and allay the pain associated with this injury. And I would just note, do not be tempted to use aspirin, as it is also a blood thinner and therefore not advisable to use when we have had bleeding.
Overall, Lena is a very lucky lass here as none of her wounds look to be fatal. Still, we need to make sure to use the above supportive care to keep these wounds clean and prevent infection. Otherwise, since this facial wound has a flap, it would be ideal to consider having her vet out to stitch this for her. That way, we'd give it the best chance at healing properly and without scarring. Otherwise, we will need to use the above and antibiotics +/- pain relief to facilitate her healing from this traumatic event.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )