CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have an intact male llama that has recently been walking

Customer Question

I have an intact male llama that has recently been walking around with his head lowered and parellel to the ground. He is walking fine and acts normal when he comes around me. Almost looks like he is trying to smell the air closer to the ground. LOL. He may be a father to be with his mate. She has lost a baby before. Could this be something to do with that? Or should I be worried that he may be ill. When he comes around me his head is raised and wants the petting and attention as usual.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do you mean that he has a lowered head carriage or does he look like he is extending his neck?

Any changes to his breathing?

Any issue with his gait?

Any changes in his appetite or thirst?
Any fever?