Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

What can you give a calf

Customer Question

What can you give a calf for bloating
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if you have a bloating calf, you need to tread with care. Still, in this case, you can treat this wee one by giving mineral oil orally at a dose of 450 milliliters per 100 pounds of its body weight. This will neutralize the gas that is being produced by the GI bacterial and this can be repeated every 8 hours as needed. You can also pass a stomach tube to release the gas. Be aware that if the calf is on replacer milk, milk dilution with electrolytes or early weaning may be indicated. If it is on pasture, then increasing forage/hay can help. And if it doesn't settle (where blockages and twists would become a concern), we'd need to considering getting the local vet our for aid.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )