CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I just got a 3 month old calf it had all its shots he

Customer Question

i just got a 3 month old bull calf it had all its shots he doesn't want to eat he try's but mostly lies down
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has diarrhea
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and thanks for the question. I apologize for the delay, I just got in from working.
Sorry to hear about your calf. Youngsters can be quite susceptible to disease, depending on their upbringing and handling/feeding method, etc. What you describe could be caused by multiple conditions. I've got a few questions to ask you so that I can answer you more thoroughly.
1): Have you bottle raised this calf, and if so, was he raised on formula?
2): Is he weaned?
3): What does his living environment consist of (stall, enclosed pen, open pasture, etc.)? Also, is he in with other calves?
4): You mentioned that he had been vaccinated. Do you recall which vaccine was used? Has he also been dewormed?
5): How long has he been sick?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
-Dan C.
Hello again:
Need to let you know that I just got called out for an emergency and will be away for a few hours. I'll check for your reply when I return.
Thanks,
-Dan C.