Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a calf that has been on a bottle since day 2. Her leg

Customer Question

I have a calf that has been on a bottle since day 2. Her leg got broken so I had her shut up in a pen with a "cast" on leg for 5 weeks. Cast came off and she has been in pasture with other cows for a few days. Never had scours & always eager for bottle until today. Hasn't had milk for 12 hours but does not look drawn. Drinking water then lays back down. She might look a bit bloated but will know for sure by morning. Any suggestions?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears, due to the change in diet, that your calf is starting a digestive disturbance secondary to this sudden change. If she continues to lay down, she will eventually bloat. There are 2 things I would do in this situation. One is to give 1 pint of mineral oil every 6 hrs and give 20 cc of Pepto Bismol every 8 hrs. If this is a digestive issue, this will help get her back to normal.
There is also a possibility that she may have picked up an infectious disease causng this laying down. If she does not respond to this treatment, have your vet examine her.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta