Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

I have boer goats. I try very hard to keep my goats healthy.

Customer Question

I have boer goats. I try very hard to keep my goats healthy. I took my young doe to another farm to be bred. I left her there for 5 days. When I brought her home I did a fecal test before I put her out with the herd. I saw something in her test that looked like a mite egg. I had never seen one before except in a picture. Shortly after she got home she began scouring very bad. I gave her kaopectate every 4 hours until her stool was checked. During the time I was giving her the kaopectate i also gave her Penecillian, vit B complex, pedialite, and SMZTMP. I fed her only grass and oak leaves. by this morning her stool had become pellets again but full of mucus. I tested her again and those big things were still there only more had developed. They are about 8 times the size of a barber pole egg, pale yellow in size and almost transparrent with a halo around them. Increasing the lins power they have cells. I don't know what they are so I have no way of knowing how to treat her for them. Can yyou please help me?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning, and thanks for the question.
Sorry to hear about your doe's condition. Dealing with internal parasites can be frustrating, as we are seeing more and more resistance toward the current dewormers. I'd like to ask you a few questions so that I can give you a thorough answer.
1): Are you doing the fecal tests yourself, and what method are you using. Floating?
2): Have you dewormed her with anything at this point?
3): Are the eggs that you are seeing rather oval in shape, with a single "halo" at the end?
4): How many goats are in your herd and how often do you deworm them?
Thanks, ***** ***** looking forward to hearing from you.
P.S. I've included a link containing photos of the type of egg I'm suspecting you are seeing. Let me know.
Thanks!
https://www.google.com/search?q=images+goat+coccidia&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sMVgVaiiNoW0ogTQzoDgAQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1360&bih=631
-Dan C. (I'll be in and out of my office)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To answer ti your questions, #1-Yes, I do my fecal testing with flotation of epson salt salution.
2-I have dewormed her recently with strongid which i have found to be very effective.
3- the eggs that I am concerned about are shaped resembling a cucomber with a halo around it.
4- I have 14 goats. I watch their eyelids, and stools and worm only when or if they need it.
Thank you
Thanks for your reply.
What you are describing is a parasite called "Coccidia", which is actually an amoeba-type parasite that attaches to the intestinal lining causing a lack of nutrient and fluid absorption (which causes the diarrhea). Coccidia is not susceptible to the normal dewormers, but is controlled with a product called "Corid", which is available over the counter at your feed store. With goats, I normally use a dosage of 2.5 cc per 50 pounds orally once daily for ten days. This is normally a very effective treatment, and can also be added to the drinking water as a preventative, for unfortunately, the rest of your herd has probably been exposed as well. Those directions are on the bottle.
Coccidia is a very common parasite, although not always well known, but now you know!
I'd recommend giving it a try to those that are sick, and you should see an improvement within 4-5 days.
I trust I've helped, and please let me know of you have any further questions.
Thank you, ***** ***** of luck!
-Dan.
Did you have any further questions?
Thanks again,
-Dan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dan,
I am very familar with coccidia it is definitly not coccodia. Did you not read the very first note that I wrote. It describes this egg which is simlar to the mite egg. it is at least 6 to 8 times the size of a barbar pole egg. Coccicia is actually one of the smallest of the main goat parasites.
Thank you for your help.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Yes, I did read your very first note. I take my work here seriously, and try to give you the best help possible. Mite eggs are not found internally, unless they would happen to be accidentally ingested. I do a lot of microscope work in my practice, and am familiar with most of the the parasite ova.
There are also often artifacts in fecal floats from the environment, such as pollen, dust, sand, etc. to take into account.
Where are you located? The South? That might make a difference.
I've included a link that basically has photos of all of the internal parasite eggs of the goat. Would you mind looking through them if you have the time, and see if you identify the egg that you are seeing? If so, I can tell you the most effective way to treat it. We may need some teamwork here to get you your answer, and I would like to help you get your situation under control.
I've just been called out for an emergency so I'll be off of the computer for a few hours. I do look forward to your response, however, because you've gotten me very curious!
Also, is the halo around the center of the egg, or at one end?
Many thanks,
-Dan.
I should be back in about three hours or so. Thanks for understanding. Here's the link:
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&biw=1360&bih=631&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=images+goat+internal+parasites&oq=images+goat+internal+parasites&gs_l=img.12...8240.15063.0.18572.28.19.0.0.0.0.1251.1251.7-1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..28.0.0.CTreYIz6xKs