Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 16 years.
8634083

My 2 year old Nubian goat is very sick. Vet out last Wed. to

Customer Question

My 2 year old Nubian goat is very sick. Vet out last Wed. to look at her. Was very wormy even though she had been wormed the week prior. Has no appetite. as eaten maybe a cup and a half of grain, little hay, little alfalfa and won't drink water. Have been drenching her with electrolytes, probios and a power punch. She is very anemic. Her stools were clumpy at first and has turned into runny diarrhea. He gave her a shot of a general antibiotic and suggested we get Valbazen and treat her. Received it last Thursday and has gone down since. She had twins on March 2nd and just has not been able to bounce back it seems. There is not a vet close to me and I can't get her to the one that came out. I am at wits end. He wants to do more blood work. My concern is the diarrhea. Is there a quick fix for this? I realize that there could be a host of things wrong. None of the others are sick and I have 11 goats. Any advise is appreciated.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Good morning:
I'm just headed out the door to do some calls this morning, so I don't have any time right now. There is no quick fix for the diarrhea, but I've a quick question for you. Did your Vet run a fecal analysis? Did he/she mention Coccidia?
I'll look for your reply upon my return in a few hours.
Thanks!
-Dan C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just said that she was very wormy. He wants me to bring her in for more testing. However, he is about 50 (+) miles away and I have no way of getting her to him and for them to come out to me is a small fortune. I look forward to hearing from you later. Thanks!
If he didn't run a fecal test (or even if he did), there's a good chance that you're looking at Coccidia, which is an amoeba-type organism, very common in goats, that regular dewormers won't take care of (including Valbazen). There is a product called Corid that you should be able to get at your feed store. I usually dose it at 2.5 cc per 50 pounds orally once daily for 10 days. I've included a few links for you to better describe the parasite.
Coccidia can cause severe damage to the intestinal lining, inhibiting absorption of nutrients and fluid. If the lining is too severely damaged, some goats won't bounce back, but the majority that I see do recover. I will usually add an antibiotic to the treatment, and sometimes an anti-inflammatory, such as Banamine. The antibiotic I normally use in this instance is Procaine Penicillin G, at a dose of 3 cc per 100 pounds in the muscle twice daily for about five days. This too is available over the counter at your feed store. Remember, when using Penicillin, it's very important to pull back on the syringe plunger after you have inserted the needle into the muscle. Should you happen to see blood in the syringe, re-position the needle and try again. It's rare to see blood, but you don't want this type of Penicillin entering the bloodstream directly.
Of course there could be other problems occurring as well, and running some blood work wouldn't be a bad idea. But based on your description of the manure (clumping, then changing to diarrhea, which is a classic sign of coccidia) and her behavior, coccidia would still be at the top of my list until proven otherwise. Is there a small animal clinic close to you? If so, they may be willing to run a fecal test for you (bribe them with cookies...), and confirm or negate the presence of coccidia, and also be able to tell you if other worms ares still present.
Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions.
http://www.goatworld.com/articles/coccidiosis/goatcoccidia.shtml
.google.com/search?q=goat+coccidia&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PHdbVaj6IoXyoATVi4CQBw&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=631
Blessings,
-Dan.
Good Morning!
Just checking to see if you have any further questions.
-Dan C..