Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 7yr old cow in otherwise good health, black angus,

Customer Question

I have a 7yr old cow in otherwise good health, black angus, is about 3 mo pregnant. had heavy muscous from nose since Feb. started seeing some blood in it 6wks ago. on and off discharge. easy handling, so gave her A200 2 x over 2 wk period and keep her in corrals for observation during that time. saw it could be blody muscous andthen noe during theday. had vet come, I wasn't here to see but he couldn't see anything up the nose. advised turning her out with rest of 29 cow herd. went out to large pasture to feed tehmcarrots, she is bleeding fairly profusing from both nostrils. but otherwise moving well and not hanging back as a really sick cow does. What could it be?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. MY fear for your gal is that she may be infected with a tick disease called Erhlichia....if you are in a heavy tick area, this seems even more likely.I say this because this disease causes a low platelet count that will cause spontaneous bleeding which can eb from the nose. The treatment for this is Doxycycline or Tetracycline every 12 hrs and doses of steroids to combat the secondary autoimmune disease causing this platelet decrease. There are tests for this that your vet can run....worth looking into. This is not contagious and use of an Ivermectin pour on may decrease the ticks. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do have some ticks. But they have been even lighter this year. I will see if I can get the mess from our cattle supply or have the vet order. I was lucky enough To get him out here. If we treat every 12 hrs. How many days? She is good size at 1400lbs. What dose for mess and steroids? I presume both are safe 4 mo into pregnancy. Last to Calf ( fall birth) were weaned and off ranch. So no nursing.Lastly. Does it start with just a heavy but clear mucous? And do u think pyro is better than injectable or even oral Safeguard (very expensive so I went back to injectable ivermectin in jan. Then 2nd pour-on in summer during heavy fly periodThanksThanks.
HI Cathy...The dose of Doxycycline is 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 2 weeks at least. This is not easy but if this is the problem, this will resolve it. Use the Ivermectin...it is better for the ticks. The injectable gives a better chance of adequate dose.

No steroids can be given if she is bred but th Doxycyclin will cover this as well as a pneumonia. Good luck, Cathy...do the best you can....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the detail on the medication. YOu are right injection every 12 hrs for 2 weeks, she would sure get to know the self locking squeeze! maybe too well and not really close it.

before I do that though, I did read up on the disease you identified as a potential. I was unclear from the sources I read if that bleeding would come and go. Yesterday, she was back to just some light mucous and and no apparent blood, even a ting!!

This disease can come and go with days of no bleeding. The disease is still present and if left untreated, this could move into the bone marrow which will be fatal. I know this will be tough to do but it is worth the trouble, Cathy...just to be safe. Good luck!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi *****

You are right I have seen the bleeding/non bleeding cycles come and go. I have been doing some researching into obtaining and administering some form of tetracyclines. (shorter acting) and Doxycyclines (longer acting).

I am having difficulty on figuring the administrative system

1. IM or Sub cuct. will be VERY difficult to get her in the squeeze 2x day for 14 days. We do not think we can do so with out some risk to her or us.

2. Oral PO seems to be easier.... (I would make a slurry and mix with grain and feed 2x/day - this is easy and observable and hopefully palatable to her). Issue is I have read that it is may not be effective due to absorption and ruminant.

Do I just increase your recommended rate of .5mg/lb?

looking forward to your advice.

cathy

Yes, Cathy....I would increase the dose to 1 mg per pound once daily given in food. This is the easiet for you and your cow.....

Try this to see if this will help...