Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a good healthy cow that I got in today to treat for

Customer Question

I have a good healthy cow that I got in today to treat for hoof rot. I ran her around a bit before I was able to get her in so she was a little tired and a little hostile, but nothing unusual. I got her in the chute and gave 39 ml of LA 300, she started to choke down just a little so we opened up the chute and she wouldn't get up. We opened up the side and got her out and let her rest maybe 7 hours but she still can't get up. She has a couple week old calf, and other than the hoof rot is in really good shape. Any suggestions?
Thanks for any advice
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your cow....it may be that the chute blocked off the artyery taking blood to the head and brain and this could cause serious, sometimes permanent damage. I have only seen this a few times but it can happen and this can cause a stroke. The only thing you can do is to have your vet prescribe a steroid such as Dexamethasone ot decrease any inflammation...if she is down more than 24 hrs, you may have to hoist her up since this will cause muscular damage to teh areas that she is laying on.. The best treatment is steroids....that is only by prescription so call your vet right away. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that makes sense, thank you so much, I already have some dexamethasone, what dosage would you recommend?
The dose would be 0.5 to 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hrs...this is a lot for a large cow so you may need more...just give what you an...anything will help.