CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a two month old kid goat, she is still nursing on her

Customer Question

I have a two month old kid goat, she is still nursing on her mom as well as alfalfa hay, water & occasional goat chow- purina.
Yesterday I found her by herself, lying sternum, & breathing heavily with mouth closed. She is still hard to catch , acts like she wants to eat but doesn't??? She is a fainting goat.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry that it has taken so long to get to your question....it appears to me that your girl is suffering from an Upper Respiratory Infection that can work to a pneumonia. Their immune system is immature at this age making them susceptable to bacterial and/or fungal infections. For this it is important to treat Belle with antibiotics and provide supportive care such as electrolytes every 4 hrs. Your vet will have strong antibiotics although Pencillin G can be purchased at the farm supply. These little ones are very fragile at this age especially the fainting goats so being proactive with sweet Belle is very mportant. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****