Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

My Pygmy goat is limping and not being him self. He loses his

Customer Question

My Pygmy goat is limping and not being him self. He loses his balance also.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Which leg is he limping on?

Is he still eating and playing?

Is he in with other babies?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

limping on back righ leg. eating a little not much not playing at all. Not with any other babies he is only baby By him self. He limp and staggering also.

Thanks Josh for that information....

The staggering is what is worrying me....

This could be due to a number of things:

Trauma
Infection
White muscle disease (deficiency of Vitamin E/Selenium)

For now, as long as Buddy is eating some, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce inflammation in this leg in case this is due to trauma. Purchase Penicillin G at the farm supply and give Buddy 1 cc daily for 7 days. Also, give Buddy an injection of BOSE that can be purchased at the farm supply....follow the directions, Josh for weight and this is given at least twice for White Muscle Disease.

This way, Josh, you are covering all your bases. If Buddy does not respond within a few days, then your vet will have to examine Buddy in case we have missed something.

Does that make sense to you, Josh?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

Thank you so much, Josh for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Buddy is better soon!

Have a great day!

Hi Josh,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta