Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

.We have recently acquired 2 Alpacas. Jasper

.We have recently acquired 2 Alpacas. Jasper is 18 months old I have noticed he snorts a lot while eating as if he has a blocked nose (doesn't stop him eating plenty though). It has been happening for the last few days. His buddy Sean shows no such symptoms so I am wondering if I should get the vet out to see him or just wait a few more days to see if he gets better. Regards, John

Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning John and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken us so long to get to your question....

This sorting that Jasper is doing while eating is most likely a normal sound that is given off to keep the other Alpaca away from his food or for other reasons. This is normal and is not a sign of any medical condition.

Since this snorting is while they are eating, Jasper is warning the other Alpaca to stay away.

This LINK will give you more information on their noises and vocalizations that all have different reasons.

Does that make sense to you, John?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Loretta

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to be fine. I was concerned because I had read other posts about Alpaca breathing problems but I think you are right that this is just him telling his mate to keep away (and the sheep we got him to mind).

Regards, John

That is great John...you are doing great for your new pets!!

have a great day, John!!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.