Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

I thought my goat had hoof rot but my vet says its probably

I thought my goat had hoof rot but my vet says it's probably arthritis and prescribed oral Banamine in corn syrup twice a day for two weeks (1.5 cc for a 150 lb. goat). she is better but not good yet and he says to keep her in this for two more weeks. I love my vet - he's good but I have also read that you can't do Banamine for this long without long term damage. what do you think?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I appreciate that you are concerned about long term use of Banamine and it is a drug to use with care. We can see some adverse effects associated with this drug when used incorrectly (ie in inappetent animals leading to stomach ulcers), in the wrong animal (ie one with ongoing kidney disease), at high doses, or for too long (if used for months to years or if overuse of the injectable causing muscle bruising/pain). That said, if Blossom is a healthy goat who is eating and drinking normally without a history of kidney troubles, then she would be an appropriate candidate for this medication being used over this time frame.

To give you a better idea of use of this drug via comparison, its worth noting that Banamine's active ingredient, Flunixin, is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs). This means its in the same family as our own NSAIDs (ie aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) but of course it is one that is safer for animal use then ours drugs. And if we think about when we take anti-inflammatories, it is something we can take for a few weeks if necessary but wouldn't want to be on continuously for months or years without medical monitoring (ie checking urine or bloods to make sure kidney function remains normal).

So, I appreciate that you have read that Banamine long term use of this medication can carry an increased risk for a goat developing associated health issues. Still in this situation, three weeks of treatment would not really be constituted as long term use (we'd more concerned about using it for months to years without proper monitoring). Therefore, I would follow your vet's advise in this instance since she is responding to treatment. As well, if you wanted to get an idea of Blossom's kidney function, you could consider taking a fresh urine sample to her vet and having him check the sample's specific gravity. If the urine is properly concentrated that that is a big clue for us that there are no issues with her kidneys and that the Banamine is not harming them.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with 4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )