Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.

I suspect my cow was bitten by a poisonous snake: what should

I suspect my cow was bitten by a poisonous snake: what should I do? is the cow's meat affected by venomous snake bite?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 9 months ago.

Doctor.A :

Hello, I am Dr A. are you available to discuss?

Customer:

Yes, what do you want to know?

Doctor.A :

Did you see the snake ?

Customer:

No, this is central Virginia. We have rattlers and copperheads in this area

Doctor.A :

Sure. Are there puncture marks?

Customer:

I think so; also the area seems swollen

Doctor.A :

Sure. Just without the bite marks, it could just be an abscess, which would certainly be preferable!

Doctor.A :

Regardless, is she a high dollar cow, or just a producer

Customer:

But if it is a poisonous snake bite, what will happen to my cow. Is the meat affected if it is a snake bite?

Doctor.A :

The local meat will be affected, and will be very evident upon slaughter. Will be affected for a distance which is impossible to determine, but probably to the extent of the swelling. Other areas shoul dnot be affected

Customer:

I have cows to produce calves; some of them I take to auction for meat cows.

Doctor.A :

Ok Just trying to determine if she would be a candidate for "antivenom" but that is on the order of many hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Doctor.A :

Otherwise, I would consider a round of antibiotics for a concurrent infection due to bacterial innoculation of hte bite from the snakes mouth

Customer:

This cow is not worth that much. I asked the question about the meat acceptability in case we have to put her down.

Doctor.A :

certainly, just wanted to make sure I didnt make assumptions ,but you and i are on the same page.

Customer:

The round of antibiotics sounds like a reasonable course to take. Thank you for your advice.

Doctor.A :

As i said ,the local meat will certainly be affected, likely to the extent that the swelling extends to (ie, if the lower leg is swollen, that meat is bad, if the whole leg is swollen, then the whole leg is likely a lost cause).

Doctor.A :

Certainly. She may also benefit from a carboy of fluids with electrolytes if she shows sign of shock or going down

Customer:

Thank you for the advice. This is what I wanted to know.

Doctor.A :

sure, glad i could help. If anything else comes up, just let me know. Be sure to clean the area around the "punctures" thoroghly with nolvosan or betadine

Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience: I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 9 months ago.
Hi Teresa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cow. How is everything going?

Doctor.A