Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a nanny goat (boar) that that is five years old and

I have a nanny goat (boar) that that is five years old and looks very pregnant but hasn't been around a billy since march 2. She isn't making milk so am I being paranoid or could she just be fat. She has had three welpings with me.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is certainly possible that your girl could be pregnant if a Buck was close by and the gestation period is 150 days. At the end of this, her mammary glands will increase in size. Your vet can Ultrasound her if you want to know for sure.

It is not unusual for goats to appear very large. This is not pregnancy but the rumen becoming larger over time and taking up a lot of space in the abdomen making your girl appear pregnant. This is probably what is happening if there is no buck in sight. This is not a big deal and will not harm your girl...it is a natural process.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it does give me a sense of relief. Thanks

Good for you, Jim...as long as she is eating well and acting normal, you do not have to worry....this is normal.

Have a great day!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian

Thank you so much, Jim for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about None. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta