Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

I have an approx 5 mo old ewe lamb. Shes a shetland and only

I have an approx 5 mo old ewe lamb. She's a shetland and only the size of a beagle. First off, she has no tail. she hasn't had any problems with that, but a few months ago she fell victim to a fly strike. her back half was infested with worms, we boiled them out with wound spray. We treated it with perioxide a few times after that. She was having trouble with her back legs (wobbly, knee knocking, stumbling). We gave her a penicillin shot. i assumed it was due to her back half being a giant scab. she seemed better. Her back half is all healed up and the wool is starting to grow back but she is still having problems with her back legs. She lays down a lot and still stumbles and wobbles with her back legs. I noticed the muscles seem to spasm quite a bit. Is this due to damage done by the worms? Is there anything we can do?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.

Doctor.A :

Hello. very sorry to hear about your lamb. do you have time to talk about her situation?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor.A :

I have a few questions about her. Have you been able to take a temperature?

Customer:

we haven't tried. she did have tapeworms and other worms as well when this happened

Customer:

i only had her a few week when the fly strike happened

Doctor.A :

Can you tell me, when she was born ,was there anything abnormal about her hind end?

Doctor.A :

oh. ok. so you didnt have her when born?

Customer:

i believe she was born in march, i got her from a lady i buy shetlands from every year

Customer:

she usually has good animals

Doctor.A :

Tell me about the site where the tail should have been

Doctor.A :

was there anything strange about this site? Did she dock it ,or was it born this way

Customer:

it is totally non existant she has no stub or nothing she said she was born that way and her vet said she was ok

Customer:

she has normal poop and everything

Doctor.A :

Ok. was there a hole at all there?

Customer:

Not that i could see

Customer:

it is a bit off putting

Doctor.A :

Did she ever have trouble walking?

Customer:

no she was totally fine until the fly strike

Doctor.A :

Well, the concern is that flies generally strike an area of wet, or damaged tissue. was the area ever wet or show signs of damage?

Customer:

i think it may have gotten wet.

Customer:

after we got the worms out of her she stays out by herself in the pasture

Doctor.A :

ok. and now, she shows muscle spasm in the hind limbs only? or front as well

Customer:

just the hind end...front is fine.

Doctor.A :

My biggest concern right now is that the fly strike sounds like it was extensive. This may have caused some nerve damage to the rear end.

Doctor.A :

Have you had your local veterinarian examine her?

Customer:

thats what i was thinking. She was small, and a lot of worms came out of her. No i havent been able to get her up there/ have him come out i've been working 6 days a week. My husband works at a hog farm and has access to medications, is there one that would help at all?

Doctor.A :

Not ness. She may benefit from some antiinflammatories, perhaps even some steroids, but this would mean she would need to be a pet

Doctor.A :

(ie, not going in for slaughter later)
But before doing this, i would recommend getting an exaimination to see if it is even recoverable. it may have permanent deficits which might not be recoverable

Customer:

he does have access to draxxin and dexamethasome. she is a pet, i just keep sheep and angora goats for fiber/ pets.

Doctor.A :

Fantastic. I would still recommend that she get an in person examination prior to starting any medications. In the meantime, try to get her temperature twice a day until he come sout

Customer:

ok thanks

Doctor.A :

no problem. Id also keep her close to the barn so she dosent have to walk so far

Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience: I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hollie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?

Doctor.A