Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

I have been corresponding with Dr. Loretta and I have a question.

I have been corresponding with Dr. Loretta and I have a question. We have 4 goats under a year old that have been coughing. We took two of them to the vet and he prescribed pencillin. The pencillin didn't seem to phase the coughing, so the vet suggested a stool sample and it came back positive for worms. We re-wormed. Still coughing. My question is do you think that Noromycin 300 LA would be safe for the goats and if so what would be the dosage?

Doctor.A :

Hello! sorry to hear your goats are not feeling well.

Doctor.A :

To answer your question specifically about the use of "noromycin 300 LA " in goats, I have to say that per the manufacturers label, it is for cattle and swine. But, tetracyclines as a whole have obviously been used in small ruminants for quite some time, including noromycin 300 la.

Doctor.A :

The dose of Noromycin 300 la is 3 ml or CC per 100 lbs of body weight

Customer:

Do you have an idea what could be causing this? I know it's kind of hard diagnosing this way, but I don't believe it could be caused by worms. I would have thought the re-worming would have taken care of it, if it was worms. There's no fever, really to speak of. I would like to know that the Noromycin 300 LA will take care of this. What's your views?

Doctor.A :

That IS a difficult question to answer. There are many reasons for a goat to be coughing. What did your veterinarian find when you took them?

Doctor.A :

were any diagnostics performed?

Customer:

He did a worm test on droppings and discovered worms. He suggested re-worming. He also suggested worming twice a month. Isn't this excessive?

Doctor.A :

it seems excessive to me, although A retest worm test after deworming is certainly reasonable to ensure the wormer worked.

Doctor.A :

was any bloodwork performed to check systemic status? Was the physical examination normal (temp, heart rate, respiratory rate)?

Customer:

There was no bloodwork performed, can't afford it. Physical exam was normal.

Doctor.A :

perfectly ok. we do what we can with what we have

Customer:

So would you say the Noromycin would be a good way to go?

Doctor.A :

without seeing the goat, i cant prescribe a treatement specifically, but oxytetracycline in addition to a dewormer is an appropriate course of treatement for goats suffering from either bacterial or parasitic infestations causing a cough