Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 14 years.
8634083

I have a one year old (+) doe. She kidded approximately two

I have a one year old (+) doe. She kidded approximately two months ago. Over the last two days, she seems to be listless, not eating much, not interacting with the herd much, not vocalizing, eyes seem a bit blurry. Any ideas as to what to do for her would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and sorry to have missed you on chat. It's disappointing to hear about Moxy's condition. I have a few questions to ask in order to give you a more detailed answer.

1): How many kids did Moxy have, and are they still nursing? Were there any problems with kidding?

2): What is her current diet?

3): Any diarrhea, coughing, etc.?

4): Can you get a temperature on her?

5): What is her housing situation (stalls, open pasture, etc.? How many goats are in your herd?

6): What product did you recently deworm her with? Have there been problems with parasites previously?

7): Any change in diet, supplements, housing, water, etc.?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, Doctor....had a storm...lost connection....apologies.

Moxy is 15 months old and has always been healthy.

Moxy delivered one kid, which is still nursing, although she seems to be trying to wean her. Moxy had no problem with the birth and has been fine to this point.

The goats eat grass and leaves, supplemented with limited amounts of goat feed and hay. We've not changed her diet, housing, water or anything. No diarrhea that we've seen, but she seems a little messy in the back end. No coughing, her eyes seem glassy but not watery. She has lost weight and looks drawn but we thought that was due to nursing. Moxy seems lethargic and seems to be sensitive to light. She is not vocalizing. She is eating if we hand feed her, but not much. She did go for the mineral/salt block when offered.

We used Safe-guard dewormer for goats about 24 hours ago, hoping it would perk her up. We have isolated her from the herd for now, just as a precaution. We've not taken her temperature....to be honest, we've never tried that on any of our goats, and are not really sure how to do it.

There are a total of nine goats. We have a three year old (?) male,Billy(not certain of his age - he was given to us about 9 months ago), a 30 month old female (Sasha), a 27 month old female(Sheba) (we got them from the same herd as kids), a 16 month old male(Mutton- Sasha's kid), Moxy and her twin sister Roxy (Sheba's kids). Moxy's kid was born June 1 (female) Sheba delivered a female kid on June 18, and Roxy delivered a male on July 1. None of the other goats are showing any symptoms or signs of distress, including the kids.

Hope this helps. Thank you for your prompt response.

Janet

Hi Janet, and thanks for getting back to me.

Based on the information that you provided, your husbandry sounds good. As long as there have been no feed changes (gorging out, etc.) and all had remained the same, I would still be concerned about internal parasites. She fits the description, and many of our common dewormers are becoming less effective due to parasite resistance. Also, at Moxy's age, "coccidia" (an internal amoeba type parasite that regular wormers don't touch) could be affecting her as well.

My recommendation for you is to get some fresh fecal samples from Moxy and perhaps several other from the herd. You should be able to drop these off at your local Vet clinic (even a small animal clinic should be able to process these for you) and see if there is either a strongyle type infection (the most common) or a coccidia problem. Coccidia is normally treated with a product named "Corid", which is available at your local feed/farm store. This is the best place to start based on her clinical signs.

If Moxy starts to go downhill fast, the best you can do is to get her seen either by transporting her to your nearest large animal clinic, or if there is a mobile vet, give them a call.

Keep up with the supportive love and care while having her fecal analysis run (or if there is a local large animal clinic, just take her in for a fecal collection and exam...) you also might want to consider giving her some "Probios" (again, available at your local feed store), which is a natural probiotic which can help in keeping her rumen functioning properly.

I trust I've helped, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, Doctor. we will have her tested tomorrow.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Janet

Great! Let me know what you find out.

Wishing the best for you and MOxy.

-Dan
Hi Janet:

How is it going with Moxy?

-Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan,

Sadly, while waiting for the test results, we lost Moxy. She passed away
yesterday morning. We still aren't sure what caused her to become ill, but
as of now, the others in the herd, including Moxy's kid, seem to be OK.
Keeping an eye on them all for any symptoms. Bittersweet (Moxy's kid) is 11
weeks old and is eating solids so we're hoping she's old enough to be
weaned? She seems to be doing OK, not crying for her mother or
anything....she just sort of blended in with the others.
Thanks for your help,
Janet

Janet:

I'm so sorry to hear about Moxy's passing, it's always a hard thing to deal with, especially when you're not sure of the cause (which happens more often than not, unfortunately...). Did you get the fecal results back? If so, and it was positive for any parasites, I'd recommend treating the herd appropriately for the parasite(s) found.

Please let me know if you have further questions/followup.

Again, my deepest condolences

-Dan
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 14 years.