Dr Steve
Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of mixed animal practice experience

I have a 5 month old doeling. She was born of a Nubian cashmere

I have a 5 month old doeling. She was born of a Nubian cashmere cross dam and boer buck. She acts fine, eats and drinks fine and bounds around normally. In the last 24 hrs she has begun to have thick, dark green discharge from the female parts. It is not coming from the rectum but rather then other part. There is no particular odor. should I be worried? What should I do if anything?

Dr Steve :

HI I 'm dr Steve

Dr Steve :

Since she is app[raoching sexual maturity, she mayhave a vaginitis or metritis ( uterine infection).

Dr Steve :

Usually the cervix is closed and prevent infections of the uterus, but as a doeling comes into heat, the cervix opens to allwo semen in and this can also allow infection in.

Dr Steve :

SHe may be a little young for this, but it is a possibility. IN any event the green discharge is likely an infection and would possibly respond to antibiotics. I have had good results with using excenel. This is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is typically available from a vet. The advantage of getting it from a vet would be that he may be able to get you a small amount not an entire bottle.

Dr Steve :

If your doeling is not eating or is acting sick, then she should be seen by a vet to determine if IV antibiotics are more appropriate. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. I will check later to see if you have more questions. THanks for using just answer and good luck.

Hi Darlene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Steve