Dr Steve
Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of mixed animal practice experience

My goat has days every few months that it bleeds from her volva

My goat has days every few months that it bleeds from her volva still eats and drinks ok
Hi, I'm Dr Steve. Goats can sometimes have vaginal changes during a heat period ( estrus). They typically do not bleed regularly like a dog does when it is in heat, but with the hormonal changes that occur as a goat goes into "heat" , it is possible that some goats can have a small bloody discharge. With her frequency of every 1-2 months, it could correspond to her heat cycle or every other heat cycle. As ling as she continues to eat, act normally and the bleeding doesn't get more serious or last longer, then there is not much to be concerned about. If the discharge would ever become thick, yellow or green and smelly, it could mean she could have developed a uterine or vaginal infection. If this should occur or if she should ever act sick she should be checked out by your vet as soon as possible. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. I will check tomorrow to see if you have more questions, Thanks for using justanswer and good luck.