Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 14 years.
8634083

Have a 6 month old goat with runny eyes, diarrhea, and hunching

Have a 6 month old goat with runny eyes, diarrhea, and hunching of his back, can tell he does not feel well , but is up and wagging his tail and eating hay
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, and sorry to have missed you on chat, also sorry to hear about Notty's condition.

A few questions for you so that I can help to answer your question more thoroughly:

1): How long has Notty had the diarrhea/runny eyes, etc.?

2): Is he housed with other goats, and if so, how many?

3): What are his living conditons like (stalled, open pasture, other types of confinement)?

4): What is his current diet?

5): Has he been dewormed, and if so, with what type of product and how long ago?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. just overnight - did not have diarrhea last night at feeding time

2. just one other goat - boer wether not showing any signs, have three does in pasture next to him also showing no signs of illness

3 20x40 pen that is dry - was going to move fence to give green pasture time when noticed he was ill

4. grass hay and Purina goat chow - was out of town and neighbors carrying for them gave them a different brand of goat chow about three days ago, ours had a clump of moldy grain in it and decided not to keep feeding out of that bag

5. no, not since I got him three weeks ago

Hi Denise, and thanks for getting back to me:

Based on what you have told me, there is a good possibility that your goat is infected with coccidia, and/or strongyles (younger goats are especially susceptible to coccidia). Treatment for each of theses parasites is different, and ideally, it's best to know what you are treating. If possible, I'd recommend getting a fecal sample to your vet for analysis (a small animal vet should be able to run this for you too). Treatment for coccidia is with a product called "Corid", which you can get at your local feed store. Strongyles can be treated with "Safegard", also available at your feed store. Dosage for Corid is 2.5cc per 50 pounds, once daily for 7 days, straight out of the bottle. Safegard has directions on the bottle label. Again, it's best to have a fecal analysis run before treating.

Chances are, this is your goat's problem.

I trust I've helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

-Dan

Dan C., DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: Equine Practitioner. Owner of Mobile Equine/Large Animal Practice for 14 years.
Hi, Denise:

Just wondering how your goat is doing. Better, I hope!

-Dan