CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a 3 month baby goat and one of her eyes is totally clouded

Customer Question

I have a 3 month baby goat and one of her eyes is totally clouded It looks like a cataract Is there something I can do to make sure her other eye does not get it and or can I repair the damaged eye
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  CountryDoc replied 3 years ago.

CountryDoc :

Hi there, this is Dr. Christie!

CountryDoc :

I am a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you with your goat kid, Daisy.

CountryDoc :

How long has her eye been like this?

CountryDoc :

Is the surrounding membranes red?

CountryDoc :

Is the eye tearing alot?

JACUSTOMER-sgf3lsm3- : No not tearing or red. Entire eye has blueish white haze. I just noticed it today however two days ago all 4 of my goats were running to me and each one would veer off to my left or right but daisy ran right into my legs Her eye does not look runny or red
CountryDoc :

Thank you for the information!

CountryDoc :

One of the most common causes of cloudiness right now is from pink eye. This is transmitted by flies and can cause a general cloudiness or haziness of the eye.

CountryDoc :

Another cause would be a corneal scratch or ulcer.

CountryDoc :

Treatment includes protecting the eye from sunlight. An eye patch can be temporarily placed over the eye to protect it.

CountryDoc :

The eye(s) can be rinsed daily with normal saline. Your vet can place an antibiotic and steroid mix subconjunctivally by the eye so it can be released over a few days to treat the eye!

CountryDoc :

Prevention is geared at reducing fly populations and control dusty areas and dusty feeds, etc

CountryDoc :

Injectable oxytetracycline can also be given to the goat to prevent further infection.

CountryDoc :

You may also want to keep the goat kid separate from others as well.