Dr Steve
Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of mixed animal practice experience

8 DAY OLD PYGMIE GOAT NOT NURSING WELL AND IS VERY STIFF LEGGED.

Customer Question

8 DAY OLD PYGMIE GOAT NOT NURSING WELL AND IS VERY STIFF LEGGED. LOOSE STOOL, AND PANTING
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Steve replied 1 year ago.

Dr Steve :

HI, I'm Dr STeve

Dr Steve :

The stiff legged part of your description has me concerned about tetanus. THis is a disease that goats are very suscetible to and is difficult to treat.

Dr Steve :

Tetanus causes the muscles to become rigid and causes stiff legs. It usually progresses and causes death in most animals . THis is truly an emergency and to increase your chances of saving this goat, you should call your local vet as soon as possible to have them examine, confirm and treat this condition.

Dr Steve :

It is possible that he could have something else like an infection tht is causing a fever and the panting, but the stiff legged part of his problem is very consistent with tetanus. The treatment that I use is penicillin to kill the bacteria that causes tetanus ( clostridium tetani) and tetanus antitixin to reduce the effects of the tetanus toxin that this bacteria produces.

Dr Steve :

Once clincal signs show up like the stiff leggedness, the prognosis for full recovery goes down quickly.

Dr Steve :

If he would happen to have another condition, that would be god, but with his young age, it is likely to still be necessary to have a vet treat him before he gets tooo weak and dehydrated.

Dr Steve :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i may receive credit for my answer. I will check in the morning to see if you have more questions. Thanks for using justanswer and good luck.

Expert:  Dr Steve replied 1 year ago.
Hi Irene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gerty. How is everything going?

Dr Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The advice was right on, but too late to be useful. I administered anti-biotics, and electrolytes prior to your assesment. I did not read your response until the next morning. 8 hours for an answer is unacceptable. I don't know what your site's situation is but I will not become a subscriber.

Expert:  Dr Steve replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. TO explain the site a little, each expert is online when their schedule allows. Most of us are full time vets and have to access the site when our job schedules allow. THeir are fewer large animal vets than small animal vets and I must have been the first vet who felt comfortable answering this type of question. I apologize for the time lag, but it is impossible for any one vet to be online 24 hours a day. With Tetanus, unfortunately by the time an animal is showing symptoms, it is rare that treatment can save them. You don't have to become a subscriber, but hopefully this has helped you understand how the site works. In any true emergency or urgent situation, the best course of action is to call you local vet to get a more immediate response. Thanks again and have a good day.