Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

One of my 3 pet goats has had eye problem for about a month

Customer Question

One of my 3 pet goats has had eye problem for about a month now. One day, out of the blue, both of her eyes started looking darker and cloudy. No discharge. Our vet came out, and gave us drops and oral liquid antibiotics. They got a little better, but then worse. Then the vet gave us injectable, 2 more types of drops, and continued the pink oral antibiotic for a month. That was 2 weeks ago, but her eyes are still cloudy and dark. They do not look better. I am really concerned. The only change in their goat yard has been we added 2 large tractor tires in late fall, and that goat (Angel) has spent a lot of time rubbing on them this Spring. We did change hay supplier in February, but we had no problems until May. Feed and shavings are the same, nothing else is new that I can determine. My question is, what some of the potential issues that we can explore or have our vet explore? I appreciate any ideas or suggestions.  Our vet ruled out glaucoma, due to both eyes clouding up so abruptly and at the same time.  He said his next step would be to have us take her to Michigan State University, but my husband would have a fit if I do that for a goat. 

Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Angels eyes. This may be due to Keratitis Sica which causes a film to cover the eye. LINK This explains this is in dogs but it can also happen in goats. Ask your vet about treatment with this medication called Cyclosporine which is a strong immuno suppressive medication and acts to remove this film. This may be a hereditary condition. Since all other medications have not been effective this is the next step.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

Thank you so much, Christie for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Angel's eye condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been about 5 weeks since we first noticed and began trying everything to treat this condition. I think she is going blind :( :( :( She wouldn't come out to me when I called her, she stayed way back and was very skiddish when I approached her. I did get the Cyclosporine in both eyes 2 times today. After reading up your reply (thank you) and researching more on this via google, I suspect this is the problem. Can she get better if she is indeed starting to go blind? Is there anything at all more that I could be doing to help her? I am so sad for her.

HI Christie....yes, the use of the Cyclosporine will remove the film that is causing the blindness and Angel will be fine and see well. This could come back at some point and the you will know how to treat this.

Good Luck, Christie!!