JoanNortonVMD
JoanNortonVMD, Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Norton board certified in large animal internal medicine, specializes in the education of animal owners on veterinary topics.
72717492

I have a two year old male pygmy goat who appears constipated.

I have a two year old male pygmy goat who appears constipated. He is in a lot of pain and is experiencing frequent abdominal spasms. He is unable to have a bowel movement and is pushing so hard I'm afraid his insides are going to come out. There are no vets available until tomorrow. Is there anything I can do? I have tried giving him an oil and baking soda mixture but it hasn't helped. I would like to at least be able to make him as comfortable as possible.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  JoanNortonVMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello this is Dr. Norton,
I am sorry to hear that Randi is in so much pain. If he is constipated, in addition to giving him the baking soda and oil, you could attempt to give him a soapy water enema. Using a gentle soap like Ivory, mix a small amount with warm water. To administer it you could use soft tubing, a baster or it may the easiest (and not that expensive) to buy an enema from the pharmacy and empty it out and use the bottle to give the soapy water enema.
While he may be constipated, I would also be very concerned that he actually has a urinary blockage. This is very common in male goats (especially if they are castrated) and as they strain to urinate they look like they are pushing to pass feces. They will become very painful and often cry out in pain. They can become (or look) bloated because of this. They often dribble urine but cannot pass a full stream. The stones, that form in the bladder will become lodged in the urethra. Because urine cannot pass through they are at risk of rupturing their bladder. Many times the stones are stuck at the very tip of the penis, goats have a very thin urethral process at the tip of their penis. If the stones are stuck here we can cut off the urethral process (and not cause any damage to the penis) and receive the blockage. If the stones are stuck farther up the urethra they may require surgery to remove the stones and relieve the pressure from the bladder. If this is the case it is very important to have a veterinarian look at Randi today. If you do not have a vet that can come to the farm you may be able to find a small animal emergency clinic that will see "small" large animals. In addition to the pain and potential bladder rupture, these goats can experience significant electrolyte abnormalities that may affect their heart. Unfortunately there is not much you can do for this condition without a veterinarian's aid so i would strongly recommend contacting a vet that can help you out. If you have seen Randi urinate a normal stream with normal colored urine then he does not have a urinary stone but because this is such a common problem in young male goats I wanted to make sure you are aware of this condition.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions and don't forget to rate this answer.
Good luck,
Dr. Norton
JoanNortonVMD, Veterinarian
Experience: Dr. Norton board certified in large animal internal medicine, specializes in the education of animal owners on veterinary topics.