Dr_Kitty
Dr_Kitty, Goat and llama Vet
Experience:  Veterinarian

I have a nubian Large Goat ,a few weeks ago he had a lump on

I have a nubian Large Goat ,a few weeks ago he had a lump on his chest ,it has kinda grown and is now a mass and today his jaw was swollen, I wrote before but the cost is well, a little muchfor m but I relly dont want to lose him and I dont want to harm him by mis treating
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr_Kitty replied 1 year ago.

Dr_Kitty :

hello

Dr_Kitty :

did you give the goat any injections?

Dr_Kitty :

are you there?

Customer:

Hello, no the goat has never had injections now the mass that started as a fist size softer is now his whole chest and neck area .

Customer:

Ive checked online and it seems he may have a parasitic infection? Edema. His lids arevery pale no I think he is anemic, The chest lumps have been for some time but he remained active and healthy, yesterday a little lethargic today the extreme swelling.

Dr_Kitty :

the bottle jaw is most likely parasites, which go along with the paleness

Dr_Kitty :

probably the barber pole worm, or haemonchus contortus

Dr_Kitty :

this can kill them rapidly

Dr_Kitty :

i would move the goat off of the current area and deworm it

Dr_Kitty :

i would use panacur as per directions on the bottle

Dr_Kitty :

some people also give red cell, an iron supplement they use in horses

Dr_Kitty :

the other areas could be abscesses; caseous lymphadenitis (CL)

Dr_Kitty :

this is bacterial, and very contagious

Customer:

I went to the farm supply and picked up worm medicine. b-12 ,ectrolite, fenbendazole. They didn't have red cell so i got the b-12. when should I worm again? They are on 10 acres but eating in the barnyard mostly

Dr_Kitty :

b12 is a vitamin and doesnt do the same as red cell

Dr_Kitty :

look for a regular goat type liquid vitamin with iron in it. I think TSC sells one

Dr_Kitty :

the fenbendazole is panacur

Dr_Kitty :

i would deworm in 3 weeks

Dr_Kitty :

and id try to really clean up well in the barn

Customer:

What is the prognosis if I treat noew and move the soon, they need shelter.

Customer:

Is it the grass or the dirty bedding

Dr_Kitty :

worms usually are in the grass; but any worm eggs can be in bedding, too

Customer:

the electrolytes have vitamins would that be enough?

Dr_Kitty :

the deworming is the biggest thing

Dr_Kitty :

if the goat has an abscess and it ruptures the whole are gets contaminated

Customer:

Do you think the chest mass is water ? not worms those are in the stomache?No abcesses but Im going dwn to the barn now . thankyou

Dr_Kitty :

the chest thing could be edema, also

Dr_Kitty :

the worms make them lose protein and they get bottle jaw and edema

Dr_Kitty :

if this is edema, will go away once worms under control

Customer:

Is the prognosis good and how long for clearing up? He if in geat condition coat and weight wise.

Dr_Kitty :

my cats never really cleared up but he looks good and eats fine

Dr_Kitty :

you may need to try and do some brushing and keep a really good eye on his dental cleanings when he gets older

Dr_Kitty :

sorry wrong question

Dr_Kitty :

you will see edema resolving in a few days

Dr_Kitty :

ramp up their nutrition during this time

Dr_Kitty, Goat and llama Vet
Experience: Veterinarian