Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
16881297

I have a 6 month old pygmy goat who seemed fine on Saturday

I have a 6 month old pygmy goat who seemed fine on Saturday but was unable to get up on Sunday. When I stand him up he is very unstable and can only take a few wobbly steps before he stumbles or lays back down. He is eating and his stool is normal.

Good afternoon and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of things that ca cause this. The most likely is white muscle disease which is a lack of Vitamin E/Selenium. Also, there are parasites or infections that can cause problems with the neurologic system that shows with these symptoms. This may also be caused by trauma or injury that you may not be aware of. For this reason, so the following:

1. Give an injection of BOSE...dose is on the bottle that can be purchased at the farm supply along with these other medications. Give a second dose after 2 days.

2. Worm Samson with an all around wormer if this has not been done recently.

3. Give Penicillin G injections daily for 7 days.

4. Give aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to relieve inflammation that may have caused this condition.

If this does not help, have your vet examine Samson to be sure we have not missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Happy New Year!!!!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX