Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

Dub Willy expired last week. we had necropsy done and were

Dub Willy expired last week. we had necropsy done and were told it was a heart attack. we were told there was a mass of some sort behind the heart that they wanted to check further into and get back to us. he passed peacefully but it was still very hard.
at least we are confident it wasnt a disease or contagion that could be passed onto our others.
we got our adult male Kiko goat tested ( feces) at the same lab just to see how his came out and i would like an opinion on the findings. they did a "Modified McMaster's" ( P.MODMCMASTER) and though its difficult to read there are 4 categories listed across the top page and this is how it reads . Organism ( category ) and then under it says " strongyle-like ova" , then Quantifier ( category ) and then under it says "101-200 eggs/per gram", then Interpretation ( category ) and then under it says "McMaster Egg Count", then Comment ( category) and under it says " 150 EPG, no other observed". can you give me an opinion on what this means ?
Good afternoon,

I am so sorry to hear that Dub Willy passed but please take comfort in his passing being so peaceful. In regards XXXXX XXXXX necropsy finding, I have to say that wasn't going to be something anyone was going to be able to diagnose unless possibly he'd had a heart scan or open chest surgery (neither particularly practical for goats). But I agree with you that with this finding, it does take that worry about infectious agents affecting the rest of the herd away.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX fecal egg count, it appears the did a direct smear count and a Mcmaster egg count (where the eggs are extracted from the same for counting rather then examined direct in the feces). And both tests on the feces yielded a mild positive for Strongyles (ie H. contortus, Trichostrongylus spp. and Oesophagostomum spp). Therefore with a reading this low you can consider worming, though most goat facilities won't worm until the sample is >250 epg (eggs per gram). But if you do choose to worm then you might consider using fenbendazole against your strongyles.

Again, I am so sorry to hear that wee Dub Willy has left us. But it sounds like he was harbouring something quite subtle that didn't give us much of a chance to catch under the circumstances (though I fear it wouldn't have been treatable even if we had known). But we do know that he passed peacefully and that his condition doesn't put the rest of his 'goat family' at risk.

Take care,
Dr. B.