Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

My goat was attacked by pitbull dogs, has infection in her

My goat was attacked by pitbull dogs, has infection in her ear...what can I give her?

Good Morning and welcome to Justanswer/Pearl. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about Lola's condition. I just hate it when dogs attack a poor defenseless goat!!

I have a few questions that will help me better assist you.

Does Lola have many scrapes and/or bites? If so, where are they?

Where on the ear is the infection?

Thank you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When vet came out 16 Nov she had to stitch ear at bottom where dogs almost tore it off but she has a hole at top of ear that looks an smells of gave her several antibiotic shots an left one with me that I gave her 4 days later
Thanks Cookie for that information...

It is not unusual for an infection to occur due to the stress of this attack and the contamination of the dogs to Lola. the first thing to do is to clean this area twice per day with peroxide and then apply Betadine to this area. Give Lola daily injections of Pencillin G which can be purchased at the farm supply and also give her aspirin at 2 mg per pound of her estimated weight every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing Lola this discomfort.

I believe that the antibiotics were stopped too soon and the infection is still present under the skin...there may be some pus that still needs to come out as well as dead tissue form the trauma to the tissues from this may help to apply hot compresses to this area prior to cleaning and applying the betadine. This will help draw this infection to the outside.

Does that make sense to you, Cookie?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Very much so...thank you so much for the advice...Lola may
Lose her ear, but I'll do all I can to save her life
She is eating good and has her "buddy" JellyBean (my mini horse) I was able to shoot 1 dog, owner surrendered the other (now they "only" have 3...I will be moving Lola & JellyBean to my daughters for safety...thank you...have a Blessed day
You are very welcome, Cookie!

I am glad you are taking Lola and jelly bean to a safer place...

I am also very happy that Lola is still eating well...this is a very good sign and even if she loses that ear, she will do fine..

Good Job, Cookie! You are doing great!!