Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.
60269376

I am in the US Peace Corps living in a remote village. We have

I am in the US Peace Corps living in a remote village. We have a goat with badly infected testicles. Swollen. About 50-75% ugly black. Of course bringing the poor creature to a vet is out of the question. It looks like if we do nothing, the animal will die. My only thought is to hold the animal down and put a tight tourniquet around the scrotum. I think I can find some human antibiotics if that would help. Any advice?
Thank you for your question.

Obviously this is a less the idea situation for this goat and yourself.
Now I am concerned that use of a tight tourniquet might not be tight enough, as the rings we use to castrate livestock are so tight we have a metal appliance (example) to stretch them when we are placing them.

If there is a vet (since your question reads like there might be expense that is prohibitive, not necessarily vet location) or a farmer nearby, you might be able to at least borrow the appropriate equipment to do this correctly for the goat.

Here is a link of the outline of how to castrate a adult male goat (LINK). Another link with pictures can be seen here (LINK). As you will find it would be ideal to have pain relief (Banamine) and numbing agent (Lidocaine). And for this goat who likely has a degree of sepsis if there has been bacteria pouring from the testes into his blood, antibiotics would be crucial.

So, it would be best to try and secure the right equipment before trying to help this goat. Otherwise, too loose a tourniquet could lead to local tissue necrosis (death), castration failure, and leave him in potentially a worse situation then he currently is.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you friend,

My host did not get in until late Wed, so I postponed until we could communicate yesterday.

We tried the procedure last night. I wiped a length of plastic coated cloths line with antiseptic from the Peace Corps first aid kit and I dabbed around where the cord would go. While Sophi and her son held the poor creatures back legs, I ran three loops around where the scrotum attaches. The I pulled it as tight as I could and tied a square knot. I gave Sophi an envelop of Cipro antibiotic pills and suggested she give two a day (which is the human dose).

A couple of questions:

Antibiotic - is that dose too high? Will it harm the goat to OD on Cipro?

The tie-off: You have me worried about not getting the tourniquet tight enough. I did not put a stick in and twist (like to old first aid class tourniquets). I was worried about garroting the thing off. There was a squirt of puss as I tightened. I am wondering about tying a second tourniquet over the first this evening. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your advice. It's worth every penny of the 30 loaves of bread or three round trips to our shopping town from our food/travel allowance.

Good morning,

I do apologize for causing you to worry but the tightness of the tourniquet is that important. Too loose and you will have chronic inflammation, sepsis (bacterial spread) and pain and swelling of the testes (a sign that there is still flow into it). Too tight and you break the skin which causes additional infection risk, further pain, and possibly haemorrhage as well. So, it is something we have to do right if we are going to do it.

This is especially the case since the other likely option here (unless you have a burdizzo and didn't tell me) would have been surgical castration and scrotal ablation; techniques that would be inappropriate and dangerous without veterinary training. So, hopefully the tourniquet will do its job, the tests will start to shrink/atrophy and drop off in the new few weeks. If you have done it too loose, then the scrotum will swell (since blood can still get in but will be slower to get out). If you see this, then you will have to remove the tourniquet and decide whether you try again or see if you can find a source for the proper equipment. So, watch the testes and they will give you an idea of whether this is going to be successful for him.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX use in goats, we do always prefer to use injectable antibiotics when we can. This is because the ruminant species have a stomach full of bacteria that will digest/metabolise and potentially be killed by the antibiotics. Luckily, Cipro is one that can be used orally in goats. Since you didn't list the milligrams per tablet, I cannot tell what has been given. But oral dosing tends to require high dosings and we can see this drug used from 25mg- 1000mg per 100kg body weight twice daily. Therefore, you should be able to work out if your dose is within this range.

Best of luck for you all,
Dr. B.