Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.

My 8mo Sannen goat doe, she 2 nights ago she was crying (bleating)

My 8mo Sannen goat doe, she 2 nights ago she was crying (bleating) off and on all night, uncommon for her. We checked no fever, she eat fine, no diarrhea, everything seemed fine except her tail down, ears lower, less active, and wanted to be left alone by the other goats. We attributed this to being tired as she didn't sleep much overnight. She seemed to get a little better during the day. This morning she had a bit of a swollen face (1-side) and drooling, still eating, no diarrhea, no fever. Checked her mouth no noticeable issues. She is a very loving, sweet goat and the only one of 7 that is showing signs of illness.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I really think that, considering Daisy's symptoms that she was bitten by an insect or something that has caused an allergic reaction. This is now showing as the swelling and excessive salivation and anything this severe will make her depressed. It is best to give her benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. Continue the anti inflammatory agent that you are giving and apply cold compresses to this swelling on her face every 4-6 hrs to help reduce this swelling. If this is an allergy, this will resolve. The only other thing may be an abscess growing where the swelling is located and if it becomes soft and grows, it may have to be lanced.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is acting a little depressed likes to be held, pressing her head against my chest. Does this information add or change your thoughts? Also if it was a bite wouldn't the swelling show up sooner?

Hi Keri...this behavior means that she is insecure due to pain or distress...this could be from an abscess or depression from an allergic reaction. The swelling may have been present in a small way prior to you seeing this and has grown. This does not change my thoughts....

She would not be running a fever with an abscess so it is also reasonable to cover her with Penicillin G daily for 5 days.

Does that make more sense, Keri?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Loretta, We are trying the benadryl and compress now. I have also been reading online and you tell me more about goat polio, some of the signs match but a lot also don't. We did administer safeguard wormer for goats about 12 days ago.

Hi Keri...goat polio is very rare and has very serious neurologic abnormalities....I do not believe this is the cause and Listeriosis is also on the differential list which is why giving the Penicillin G is important. This is unlikely also since the neurologic symptoms are not severe.
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in treating large animals of all kinds.
Hi Keri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta