Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinarian, I have been educated to treat all animals, big and small.

what is poisonous to my pot belly pig?

Customer Question

what is poisonous to my pot belly pig?
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am afraid the list of things that can be poisonous to a pot belly pig is probably even longer then the list of things he likes. (It is a dangerous world for animals). There are plants, chemicals, and even food that we eat that can be harmful for our pbp's.

If you can let me know what he is exposed to or any specific concerns, I can tell you if they are toxic for him. Otherwise, it'd be a laundry list of things that may or may not even be in your part of the world.

So, if you can list some specifics, we can have a proper discussion on what might be a risk for him.

Dr. B.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is pretty much a house pig, they said he is a vietamese mini pot belly that I brought home from Maui. So he is in the house a lot but when it is nice I let him in the yard. Recently he got into my garden and ate my habanero plant and he seemed ill for about a day. So my main concern is vegetables that he might get at in the garden.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

If we had had a free roaming pig, then we'd have to consider items like acorns, tobacco plants and pigweed which are all toxic. But if he is limited to your yard, then you will have more control.

Vegetables that we don't want him ingesting large volumes raw include parsley, parsnip, leeks, celery, turnips, kale, rape, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green potatoes, castor beans, onions, + avocado. As well, some corn in his diet is fine but we don't want him eating corn plants. The majority of these are safe in moderation if eats a bit but excess can cause issue. Most are safe once they are cooked, though the last four are best skipped in his diet all together.

He can have safe veggies like corn, peas, soybeans, peppers, zucchini, green beans, and sweet potatoes. In moderation, he can have cooked broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans. Of course you want to use moderation for all (since cauliflower and broccoli in excess can make a pig gassy and bloated and veggies with high sugar content like peas/corn can make a pig hyperactive). As well, all plants need to be pesticide free in the garden, since any chemical treatment can turn safe veggies into toxic ones.

Do let me know if there are any specific plants you were curious about.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is always appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for me assistance.