CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

goat: will not eat or drink

adult goat listless will not eat or drink. groaning. gave bismuth subsalicate. has not been wormed recently. Is it possible she needs worm meds? she hasn't moved her position (sitting up) in 24 hrs.
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  CountryDoc replied 2 years ago.

CountryDoc :

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

CountryDoc :

I am a licensed veterinarian and would like to try and help you with Penny.

CountryDoc :

How long has Penny had these symptoms?

CountryDoc :

Can you look at her gums or third eyelids? What color are they?

CountryDoc :

Any bloating? Diarrhea?

Customer:

Hello, I am a customer service representative posting on behalf of the customer who is unable to view the chat. Please click on the 'Switch to Q&A' link at the top of the page to change the format of the page from Live Chat to Q&A so that the customer can access your reply and also please repost your reply as a new answer or info request. Thank you.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

How long has Penny had these symptoms?

Any bloating? Diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
symptoms have been noticeable for 4 days. yes, had diarrhea. hasn't been wormed...could this be the cause?
Yes this can definitely be the cause!
Are you able to check the color of her gums or third eyelids?

When was the last time she ate or drank something?

Any swelling to her jaws or face?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No swelling to jaws or face. Hasn't eaten or drank in 3 days. Accepting Pedialite electrolite fluids in a large syringe. Gums are pale. Didn't check eyelids, can do later. Is there a wormer (name of) you can recommend?
Thank you for the information!

Penny's situation is dire! If you can get her to your vet or get your vet out ASAP, I highly recommend this! This is an emergency and life and death!

Getting a dewormer such as ivermectin, cydectin or panacur into Penny, this is a good start. Getting a high energy drench into her is also important as well as fluids. Ultimately if you can get her to eat hay, this would be best. Since she has been down for 24 hours, bloating is a possibility. You need to try and get her standing a bit and get her switched sides. Starting her on vitamin B12 and thiamine injections is recommended.

The fact that Penny has been down for 24 hours and not eating for 3 days puts her prognosis to guarded to poor. If you can get her to your vet ASAP!
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience: Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do thank you very much
Best wishes for Penny and a speedy recovery!

Please remember to click on the green 'Accept' button!
How is Penny doing?