CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

6 month old calf has foam around mouth dogs not eat last night,

Customer Question

6 month old calf has foam around mouth dogs not eat last night, also have 2 others that seem fine
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  CountryDoc replied 2 years ago.

CountryDoc :

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

CountryDoc :

I am a licensed vet and would like to try and help you with your calf.

CountryDoc :

You mentioned the calf did not eat last night. What is its current diet?

CountryDoc :

Any diarrhea?

CountryDoc :

Any coughing?

CountryDoc :

Does the calf seem lethargic?

Customer: Feed is grass & stockers grow , fresh watt daily, no coughing or diarrhea, she did not come when called off to herself not within other two. Field just cut.
CountryDoc :

Hi there! Thanks for the information!

CountryDoc :

Does she look bloated at all?

CountryDoc :

There are a few things that can cause foam at the mouth: pneumonia (#1 in this age calf), dehydration (from the heat), foreign body in the throat, and possible frothy bloat.

CountryDoc :

I would get the calf into a short pen or chute. If you can check the calf's temperature. If it is over 103, then likely infection such as pneumonia. Listen for any gurgling breathing or congestion in the chest. You will want to start her on an antibiotic such as enrofloxacin for the pneumonia. You will also need to get fluids into her. If you can tube her with electrolytes a couple times of day this will help her immensely. Also if you have some cow aspirin or banamine, I would get that into her to help with inflammation but also to bring her fever down. Try and get her eating roughage (stay away from grain for the moment).

CountryDoc :

If you get her in an it seems she is stretching her head and neck out, get your vet out ASAP! There is a good chance she may have something stuck in her throat. Be careful as if this is the case, I would consider her a rabies suspect (this can be one of the first signs we see).

CountryDoc :

If she seems bloated, she may have a frothy bloat started from clover in the pasture or from the cut pasture. You will need to pass a tube to her stomach to relieve the bloat and administer some Therabloat or some water with a bit of mineral oil.

CountryDoc :

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

CountryDoc :

Please remember to click on the green 'Accept' button.

Customer: Not bloated or stretching. Temp is 101. Any other ideas? We are very new at this as you can tell. Could you recommend any web sites or books?
CountryDoc :

I would still be concerned with pneumonia. Most times they will run a fever, but not always. I think you need to get her started on antibiotics and get some fluids into her quickly!

CountryDoc :

If you do not have any antibiotics on hand or are unable to get fluids into her, I would get your vet out there ASAP as calves can go downhill pretty quickly especially when it is hot and they are sick!

CountryDoc :

Dehydration can also be a factor especially with the heat. Getting fluids into the calf is vital! If you are unable to do this, I would get your vet out immediately!

Customer: Thank you for you help.
CountryDoc :

You are welcome. How is the calf doing today?

CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience: Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lill One. How is everything going?

CountryDoc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good, gave her fluids as you suggested. Still not sure about the foam around mouth. She is eating and drinking fine. Thank you for your advise