Dr Steve
Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of mixed animal practice experience

medicine to treat 6 day old calf with scour he has had for 3 days

Customer Question

what medicine to treat 6 day old calf with scour he has had for 3 days
Category: Large Animal Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Steve replied 1 year ago.

Dr Steve :

HI, I'm Dr steve. What antibiotics do you have on hand?

Dr Steve :

Calf diarrhea can be caused by many different bacteria and a few viruses. My standard treatment is to give electrolytes to prevent dehydration. I use Hydralyte or Entrolyte. One package per 1 1/2 quarts of water. I give this instead of milk at each feeding for 2-3 days. IS this calf still on the cow or a bottle calf.

Customer:

non for cows

Dr Steve :

ANything at all?

Customer:

no i breed dogs i can get something

Customer:

may be la-200

Dr Steve :

I give antibiotics to kill the bacteria that often cause scours like E.coli or Salmonella. IF a calf has a virus like Rota or Corona, there is no medicine for that , but there are usually bacteria in addition to viruses and I still use antibiotics to kill the bacteria so the calf's immune syustem can handle the virus possibility. THe antibiotics I use include NuFLor, excenel., and Draxxin. THese are all labelled for use ni calves, but not licensed for use for scours. HOwever your vet can "OK" their use for scours as part of the "extra label drug use" clause that vets have with their clients. SOme vets will also get you just enough to treat one calf so you don't have to buy a whole bottle. LA 200 hasn't worked well for me in scours.

Dr Steve :

Is this a bottle calf.

Customer:

no a 1frist time heifer calf

Dr Steve :

IF it is not nursing the mother you may have to try to bottle feed it the electrolytes. If it is still nursing he mother then the antibiotics may be enough. If the calf won't nurse and is weak ( not able to stand or not interested in the bottel ) you may need to have a vet come out and pass a stomach tube to get the electrolytes into the calf and even give IV fluids if the calf is really weak.

Dr Steve :

ONce a calf starts acting weak, they can get much worse very quickly and even the time necessary for the antibiotics to work may be too long without giving supplemental electrolytes and IV fluids. Unfortunately this is a judgement call as to when the calf is weak enough to need IV treatment, but being a weekend, it may be easier to get a vet out this morning than the rest of the weekend.

Customer:

sorry this is a heifer that had her first calf there is only 1 bull and the heifer and her calf in pasture I have tubed a calf in the past been a while what side of mouth do i say on left or right and if i can get some nuflor or excenel and draxxin how many cc he is still walking around sucking a little that i can see

Dr Steve :

It doesn't matter what side of the mouth, I put it riht down the middle , the important thing is to be able to feel the ball on the end of the calf feeding bag under the skin. IT is typically on the calfs right side as you are looking the same way that the calf is, but in some calves it is on the left. Moving the tube in and out of the mouth a few inhes after the calf has swallowed the tube will make it easier to feel the moving ball bump against your fingers. If you don't feel the ball then you are n the windpipe and don't give any fluids or it will drown. Only let the fluids out of the bag if and when you feel the ball.

Dr Steve :

The dosage is the same as is on the bottle and depends on the weight of the calf. Draxxin is 1cc per 90 # XXXXX excenel is 1-2 cc per 100 pounds and nuflor is 3-6 pounds per 100 pounds, THey are all given under the skin.

Dr Steve :

If you are able ot pass a tube, the electrolytes I really like are resorb or sky high energy. These both contain psyllium which is a thickening agent to slow the scours down. I don't use it in a bottle because it gets too thick to get through the nipple within about 5-7 minutes. If you think you can tube the calf quickly, you could use this. When I ues these, I get teh water ready in the bag, straddle the calf, mix the powder in teh bag and then pass the tube. I use lukewarm ater to slow the speed if the thickening and don't mix it in the house because it may set up by the time you get to the calf.

Dr Steve :

If you choose to use these thckening electrolytes, you may want to practice passing the tube with nothing in the bag first so you are comfortable with the process without being stressed with hurrying. If this isn't comfortable for you , use the hydralyte or enterolyte as these don't get thicker.

Customer:

I was going to use resorb they have it at tractor supply i am trying to find medicine all there is is horse vets here

Dr Steve :

Horse vets may have excenel . It is used in horses as well. It lasts 24 hours in the calf and should be givin once a day for 3 days in a row. I hope this has helped . If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck. If you have more questions, please continue

Dr Steve :

REsorb will get thick, but is a very good one to use.

Customer:

Thank you very much

Dr Steve :

you are welcome. Have a nice weekend

Customer:

thank

Dr Steve, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of mixed animal practice experience