CountryDoc
CountryDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experienced mixed animal veterinarian
16703648

I have a female goat that cannot stand up. She tries to get

I have a female goat that cannot stand up. She tries to get up but can't. She is eating and drinking normal. Her front legs are kind of stiff, but she moves them, she also moves her rear legs trying to get up. She does not have diarrhea and is having normal bowel movements. I have been making sure she is on fresh clean hay every day and I move her around and flip her over to her other side daily. I have ordered her selenium and vitamin E, and will give it to her when it comes. I was reading something about a deerworm, and was thinking that we have whitetail deer and slugs. The goats are beside a pond and the winter so far is warmer than usual, so it's been wet. Would it hurt to treat her for that since I'm not sure that's the problem?

CountryDoc :

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

CountryDoc :

I am a licensed veterinarian and would like to try and help you with Oreo.

CountryDoc :

I have a few quick questions for you to gather some more information concerning oreo.

CountryDoc :

How long has she been unable to stand up?

Customer:

about a week now

CountryDoc :

Any known trauma, such as a fall or another goat beating up on her?

Customer:

i thought my other goat just was being rough with her, and she was just sore, but she still wont get up

CountryDoc :

Any chance she could be pregnant?

Customer:

i dont know if the other goat hurt her

Customer:

no

CountryDoc :

Is she eating and ddrinking normally?

Customer:

yes

CountryDoc :

Is she going to the bathroom (urinating and defecating) normal?

Customer:

yes

CountryDoc :

Have you checked her gum color to see if she is nice and pink?

CountryDoc :

And have you checked her temperature at all?

Customer:

her gums look normal and she is not depressed or anything

Customer:

i have not checked her temp

CountryDoc :

Do you know the last time she was dewormed?

Customer:

i'm not sure

CountryDoc :

Ok, thank you for the information!

Customer:

springtime i think

CountryDoc :

So a couple of things to consider: trauma (possibly from the other goat), infection, and parasites (meningeal worm aka the deer worm)

CountryDoc :

If the other goat somehow hurt her spine, it certainly can cause the symptoms you are seeing.

CountryDoc :

The meningeal worm is certainly a possibility if you have whitetail deer in your area. It can be hard to diagnose (typically a fecal exam by your vet and clinical signs).

CountryDoc :

It can also be really hard to treat, especially once an animal becomes recumbent.

CountryDoc :

The immature forms of the worms can migrate through the spinal cord and even the brain. Sometimes the damage is permanent.

CountryDoc :

Treatment can be tried, which involves proper deworming, potent anti-inflammatories such as steroids, and supportive care such as IV fluids.

CountryDoc :

Dewormer to use would be fenbendazole also known as Panacur

Customer:

I have Safeguard

CountryDoc :

I would recommend getting a fresh fecal sample to your vet to have checked for parasites, specifically the meningeal worm

Customer:

Normal doses of dewormer?

CountryDoc :

Safeguard is fenbendazole, the dose is 20-50 mg per kilogram body weight

CountryDoc :

once a day for 5 days

CountryDoc :

Since it has been a week with no improvement, I would also recommend having your vet check her out. Certainly a physical exam can go a long way and rule out alot of other things too!

CountryDoc :

Make sure to collect a fecal sample before deworming her too!

Customer:

ok

CountryDoc :

Here is an excellent article concerning the meningeal worm as well: http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

CountryDoc :

Do you have any further questions for me?

Customer:

No, I just wanted to know about the treatment for the meningeal worm. Thank you very much for your time.

CountryDoc :

You are most welcome! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Oreo!

CountryDoc :

Please keep me updated as to how she does! You can reply at any time to this thread!

CountryDoc :

If I have been helpful, please click on the green 'Accept' button so I can be compensated for my time!

Customer:

Ok, I will do that. Thank you again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oreo's fecal came back negative for parasites. Thought you would like to know. She still has not gotten up, so maybe she has an injury. She is in good spirits, eating and drinking as normal. I am going to try to sling her to see if she will put any weight on her legs. Thanks again for your time.