Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience with horses, domestic livestock, and camelids
25745582

we have a mini pig that has been throwing up off and on all

we have a mini pig that has been throwing up off and on all day normanl BM's and he wants to eat. What can we do

Dr. Jill :

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. Does he still have a normal bright, alert attitude? A number of things can cause vomiting in pigs including ingestion of a foreign body, toxin, dietary indiscretion (eating abnormal things), etc. If you have a spare thermometer around I'd suggest taking his temperature to make sure he doesn't have a fever (should be less than 102 degrees farenheit) which could indicate infection or significant inflammation.

Dr. Jill :

The fact that he continues to want food is a good sign. I'd recommend watching for any signs of diarrhea, depressed attitude, and lack of appetite.

Dr. Jill :

Assuming the signs stay mild, you can try treating him with pepto bismol to see if that helps settle his stomach.

Dr. Jill :

I'd also recommend avoiding more rich foods for a few days.

Customer:

Yes, he is still alert when we shake his food he runs for it. Otherwise, he has been sleeping more than usual but since he hasn't kept food down I am sure he doesn't have as much energy as usual.

Dr. Jill :

So he hasn't been able to keep anything down so far?

Customer:

no, not since this morning

Customer:

he has been drinking water throughout the day on his own

Dr. Jill :

Any chance he got into anything unusual like anti-freeze or other chemical product?

Customer:

not that we are aware of

Dr. Jill :

The fact that he's younger and hasn't been able to keep anything down increases my suspicion of a foreign body stuck in his intestine that's causing a blockage. This would require x-rays by your veterinarian to diagnose.

Dr. Jill :

You could try treating him with pepto bismol and any fluid that he might be able to keep down (water, fruit juice, etc.), but if he can't keep anything down he's likely to be getting dehydrated by now.

Customer:

he did have a bowle movement but he seemed to struggle with it... he has had water all day but won't take juice

Dr. Jill :

If he's able to keep water down that's great...but stress from being sick along with him probably not drinking as much as normal can cause his intestines to try to keep as much fluid as possible (and can cause constipation).

Customer:

okay, so until we are able to see a vet (difficult due to the holidays) what can we do to make sure he is okay?

Dr. Jill :

Keeping him as hydrated as possible along with the pepto bepto bismol...something like pedialyte will help provide electrolytes as well. You could try a semi liquid diet like ensure or canned soup...something not solid but with more nutrition than liquid.

Dr. Jill :

If the vomiting continues however, a visit to the vet may be needed. If he has something stuck in his intestine, the soon it can be taken care of the better.

Dr. Jill :

Again, hopefully it's a simple indigestion he'll get over soon. If this is the case, pigs usually recover in a day or two.

Customer:

thank you so much for all your help! Will do! Happy New Year! Gratefully, Katye, Cory and Mr.Gibs

Dr. Jill :

Happy New Year to you as well! Best of luck! I'd love to hear how he does if you get a chance! (can re-post here or in feedback)

Dr. Jill :

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Customer:

we will keep you posted and thank you again. It is so hard to find livestock vets near Los Angeles! But he is a great little piggy